Tuesday, July 5, 2011

WILL THE AZKALS CONSIDER NICK RIMANDO?

There is a Filipino-American currently making waves in the US Major League Soccer (MLS). Nick Rimando is the starting goalkeeper for the Real Salt Lake club and he rose to prominence when he saved two penalty kicks including one by the celebrated David Beckham as RSL shocked the Los Angeles Galaxy, 5-4 in a penalty shootout during the 2009 MLS finals. The 32 year-old California native is an eleven-year veteran in the American pro circuit after being picked 35th over-all by the Miami Fusion in the 2000 MLS Super Draft. He played a year for the Fusion before transferring to D.C. United in 2002. After four years, he joined RSL and just recently, signed a contract extension that will keep him in Utah until the 2013 season. Maybe Rimando can suit up for the Philippine Azkals national football squad in the future. He can be a good backup to starter Neil Etheridge and with his vast MLS experience, he could even start in some international matches for the Azkals. The only thing that may become a hindrance for his possible Azkals stint is a technicality issue because he had played five matches for the US national team in 2002. But citing the cases of Chris Armas, who played for both Puerto Rico and US national teams and Diego Gutierrez, who suited up for both Colombia and American squads, the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) can take a serious look at the 5-10 former UCLA Bruins standout. Rimando says he is happy to be both a Filipino and American at the same time, according to a 2009 article of popular sports columnist and my good friend, Quinito Henson in the Philippine Star.

Everybody knows I’m Filipino because of my eyes. I’m happy to be Filipino and I’m happy to be American and being in the US playing soccer. It doesn’t matter what color your skin is or color your hair is. I’m out there doing my job and they look at me as a person. I just try to go out there every day and perform and do my job. If I can represent the Filipino community that way, I’m happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i believe he already capped for the US